Thursday, December 8, 2011

Homeschooling with K12

I have always wanted to homeschool Robbie, but I've always been talked into keeping him in regular school "for the socialization". I don't see how they can develop socialization skills when they have to sit in class and listen to the teacher, and then do work on their own. If they talk, they get in trouble. The only time they get to socialize is at recess. Both boys would have more time for socialization by staying at home and playing with the kids down the street. 


Robbie's in 2nd grade now, and I've noticed a lot of things that make me want to start homeschooling this year. First, his attitude seems to be getting worse. He'll smart off to me, yell at everyone in the family, and whine when he doesn't get his way. Second, this past Tuesday, I had to keep him home from school because Monday, a boy in his class told him he was going to kill him. Then on the way home, a boy on his bus called him the "F" word.

I went to the school Tuesday morning and talked to his teacher, and then the principal. His teacher understood why I was keeping him out for the day. The principal wasn't so understanding. She kept telling me that he needs to be in school. The way I see it, if his life is being threatened, he does NOT need to be in school. I spent a good part of the day Thursday, researching homeschooling. The one I found to be the best for the boys was K12. A friend of mine uses K12 for her son and she loves it, so now it's my turn to try. I filled out an application for both boys, and submitted all the required documents. 

I just got word today that all documents were received and approved, and the boys were put on a wait list. From what the guy told me the other day, if everything goes through in time, the boys could be set to start January 16th. I hope they get approved for that slot because I am so ready for them to start homeschooling, especially since I found out that Zach got punched on the bus today.  Come on K12!

No comments:

Post a Comment