Monday, December 12, 2011

Five In A Row

So last Sunday, I posted about getting the kids enrolled with K12. Well, after talking with a couple other Homeschooling Moms, and doing a LOT of research, I decided to go with Five In A Row instead. I love reading, and I believe books are SUPER important! Five In A Row bases all lessons on books. You read one book every day for a week. Each day, after reading the story, you pick a lesson or two. So Monday, you may choose Art and Science. You can do an Art activity and Science activity based on the book. Tuesday, you may opt for Geography and Math, and so on.

The books are selected by the Five In A Row creators, and they choose stories which deal with strong family relationships, perseverance under trial, and other important values that children SHOULD be learning, but don't seem to be being taught in public school. They are only focused on the actual academics, but seem to not care less about other important values. Yes, I know this is the parent's job to teach, but I believe schools should reinforce these core areas.

I think Five In A Row will be awesome for the boys because they already love to read. Well, Robbie does. Zach doesn't know how to read yet, but I know he'll love it once he grasps it. I'm really glad I found Five In A Row, and am anxious to get started. I went to the school today and withdrew the boys, and tomorrow starts day 1 of homeschooling. Yay! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment