Saturday, January 5, 2013

Week 1 - Play Games With Them




One of the fondest memories I have of my childhood was when my Grandpa and I played Checkers together. He taught me the game at a very young age, and I quickly fell in love with it. When I was bored, having a bad day, or just wanted time with Grandpa, he would get the game out and play it with me. Now that I’m older, I still love Checkers. In fact, it is my favorite game. I have attempted to pass this love down to my own children, but they seem to prefer Skip-Bo and Yahtzee. Fine with me, as long as it’s not video games! J I just want to be able to spend time with them, doing time-honored traditions like playing card or board games.

Where do we find the time???

 With our fast-paced society, I know it can be hard to find time to squeeze in a good game, especially if you work outside the home full-time. By the time you get home for the day, you’re ready to eat dinner and go to bed. Been there, done that! But believe me, it is well worth it if you will make it a priority to set aside thirty to sixty minutes, a couple days a week, to play a game with your children. Luckily I have been off work the past couple weeks for Christmas break, so my husband and I have gotten to play a game with them each day. When I go back to work Monday, though, that will probably dwindle down to two or three days per week. As long as you are consistent (once a week or more), you will see your bond with your children grow stronger. Just make sure to spice it up a little. Playing the same game over and over can quickly become a tedious chore rather than a favorite pastime. Take it from a Momma whose boys have gotten tired of Checkers! L

This week:

Play a game with your children at least one day this week. It can be a board or card game. NO VIDEO GAMES! Then come back to this post and leave a comment with the game you played and any thoughts you have.


Blessed by Him,
Adrienne



No comments:

Post a Comment