Saturday, December 28, 2013

Week 7 - Sing & Dance With Them

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way…

Do you remember growing up and singing Christmas carols with your family? I unfortunately never got to experience this with my own family but I did get to go caroling with a few friends from church when I was a young teen. I remember having so much fun as we passed out Christmas meals to those in need, and cheered them up with a few Christmas favorites. I will never forget that experience as it was one of pure joy for me. 

The only thing that would've made it even better? Getting to do it with family.

Singing and dancing are very fun (and active) ways to engage your children and make the most of their younger years. My son will be ten next month and we love to sing together. My personal favorite is when we are in the car singing along to KLOVE, or for the past couple months, Colt Slack, who by the way, is an AWESOME Christian rapper! We had the privilege of seeing him in concert recently and purchased one of his cds. My son and I have played that thing so many times I’m surprised it still works!

We also like to dance together at home in the living room. We’ll put in an upbeat cd and just have fun dancing to it. We used to do this ALL the time! To be honest, we haven’t done it as much lately and I miss it! Mental note: add to my to-do list this week. 

For those parents who are thinking “Me? Sing? Dance? Are you serious?!?” The answer, of course, is YES! 

Parents, our children are only young once. What we teach them today will carry on with them into their adult lives, and will be things they teach to their own children. Who cares if you can’t carry a tune to save your life? So what if you have two left feet? Your children will appreciate the quality time together and will have a blast sharing their experiences with others. And if they tell their friends about your singing handicap? Well, you can always LAUGH with them! 

This week:
Find a family-friendly cd and have fun singing and dancing together. Let’s show our kids that we can get crazy and have fun!

Blessed by Him,
Adrienne

No comments:

Post a Comment